Sunday, October 19, 2008

Blue Ridge Hospice 5K


Here we are at the Hot Air Balloon Festival and Blue Ridge Hospice 5K.  Hannah (in green) is crossing the finish line. This turned out to be a beautiful day.  Below are pictures from the day.  This was fun to run since this was my first race last year. As much as I wanted to run my fastest time just to be competitive with a co-worker and to just say that I could improve my time, I decided to run with my daughter Makenah (9).  We decided to run .5 mile then walk .5 and so on to the end.  I have included some pics of her below.  She actually won 3rd place in her age group and received a medal.  How awesome for her.  I have also included a few pics of the balloons launching in the fields around us.  (yes, I ran with my camera).



Lilah took some pics, including this one of our feet.  Love it.  Then she got the one below of my bib number.  It is fun to see things from her level. 
Here is my Makenah with her medal.  I hope this was a self-esteem booster for this little person.  
My hubby, who I could not run without.  He also completed the 5K this year by keeping Lilah focused.  He makes it possible for me to run.  
Here is Makenah about 1.5 miles in.  She is so cute in her little running hat and ipod headphones.  
Here is Lilah at the beginning of the race.  Yes, she is wearing and ipod as well.  
What a beautiful day for a run.  The trees were fabulous.  The temp was about 45 deg.  Lovely to run.
Some shots of the hot air balloons in the fields around us as we ran.  
The food at the end of the race includes the usual lot of carbs, fruits, cheeses, water, muffins, etc.  Even hot chocolate and coffee were provided this year. 
Lilah isn't sure about this whole thing.  
This is my friend Shellie.  We work together at the hospital.  She is a mom of 4 and very busy as well.  I am proud of her for working in time for herself and starting to run.  I know secretly, she is training for the Apple Blossom 10K, not to be outdone by me.

The runner in green is my Hannah and my  co-worker, Valerie is in pink.  Here they are at the start of the race.  Beautiful day.

These are a few last shots of the balloons in the fields around the run.  
I am proud of my family for completing this 5K run/walk to raise money for the local Hospice.  We talked about what a great organization this is and how important they are to the community.  It also makes me happy to think that my whole family, minus the 3 year old, completed a 5K in approximately 45 min or less.  No complaining, no crying, and no whining about it either!!!!  I hope they remember the time we spent together raising money, exercising, and enjoying each others company.  I would like to think that this will also lead to life long healthy activity so that they may not have the years of being overweight that I had.  I will keep my fingers crossed, and continue to sign them up for races (even if it is against their will).

No comments: